Burning Up

Format: eARC

Pages: 253

Source: Netgalley

Add to Goodreads

First of all, I want to say that even though Burning Up was entertaining, not a lot happened. The characters were kind of bland and it took me a while to immerse myself into the book.

The book is about Erin a teacher who was let go due to budget cuts forcing her to return to her childhood home. Not wanting to be tied down by anyone, she’s counting the minutes until she can go back to her old life far away from her overbearing family. That’s until she bumps into her childhood crush Jake, a firefighter and single dad. Jake makes her question everything she’s ever wanted.

The majority of the book is about the two protagonists fighting their attraction to one another, then giving in to their attraction to one another, then going back to fighting their attraction, and so on. This is nothing new, since this is a light, contemporary romance, but for some reason it annoyed the shit out of me. I also did not like the way Erin thought of/treated her family. In some ways I could see why she thought they were overbearing, but in my opinion, she was mostly overreacting. She came off as very selfish and kind of bitchy.

Now to the things I did enjoy. Jake was amazing. He’s a fantastic father and family man. Plus, who doesn’t like a sexy firefighter. His fellow firefighters were cool, as well. The author did have a great sense of humor. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions.

Overall, even though the book wasn’t perfect, I did enjoy it. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.